Coquille River Light as the lighthouse was originally known is situated at the mouth of the Coquille River in Bandon, Oregon.
Built-in 1895 and first lit on Feb. 29, 1896, the forty foot tall lighthouse was equipped with a fourth-order Fresnel glass that protected the harbor and mariners out at sea.
In 1936, after a disastrous fire in Bandon destroyed 2/3 of the town, the lighthouse and keepers house was used as a sanctuary of sorts as the lighthouse was separated from the fire by the river and harbor.
Though it survived the fire, Bandon was essentially bankrupted due to the decline in shipping. As a result, the lighthouse was shut down in 1939 and an automatic light was positioned across the river on the South Jetty.
The lighthouse and keepers building was abandoned and deteriorated over the years until a restoration was begun in 1976. The keeper’s house and other outbuildings had deteriorated beyond repair and were torn down but work continued on the tower. In 1991, a solar-powered light was mounted at the top, visible to Bandon.
It is open to the public and since this photo was taken in April of 2000, the base has been repainted with a brick-red color.